Thursday, April 12, 2007

Doom, 2005, id Software (game) Andrzej Bartkowiak (film director)

I am going to be analyzing and comparing the video game Doom 3 with the film, Doom. I will be referencing some ideas from Deluze to show how the video game Doom is an action image and how the movie failed to do so in some aspects. This will tie in to some of Sobchack's ideas about our moral ethics. Although she may think that video games fail at creating personal responsibility but films succeed, Doom is quite the opposite. The movie was horrible and a complete disgrace to the video game series, which is a "landmark title" in first person shooters (FPS). Interacting with a video game incorporates mental and some minor physical interaction that can make the event more "real" than a film. I will focus the paper on the scene in the movie which switches from third person to first person.
In addition to using Deluze and Sobchack, I'm going to look into two recommended books: "First Person" and "Rules of the Game". I'm also going to reference some academic reviews. My only concerns are that I cannot focus this topic enough and that perhaps I will have a hard time finding real "academic" sources.

No comments: